Are you tired of handwashing your cocktail shaker after every use? You may wonder if it’s possible to simply throw it in the dishwasher to save time and effort. However, before you do so, it’s important to consider whether or not your cocktail shaker is dishwasher-safe. In this article, we’ll dive into the cleaning conundrum of whether or not you can put a cocktail shaker in the dishwasher and what factors to consider before making the decision.
Can You Put Cocktail Shaker in the Dishwasher?
Yes, it is possible to put a cocktail shaker in a dishwasher as long as it is made of dishwasher-safe materials and the manufacturer’s instructions or care labels do not prohibit it. However, checking for any intricate parts or decorations that may be damaged in the dishwasher before putting it in is important. However, washing them by hand with a soft cloth is always best.
What Cocktail Shakers Are Dishwasher Safe?
If you are looking for a dishwasher-safe cocktail shaker, here are some we’d recommend checking out:Table could not be displayed.
Regardless of which shaker you have, let’s move on to how to clean yours:
How Do You Wash a Cocktail Shaker?
Washing a cocktail shaker is an important step in maintaining the longevity and functionality of your shaker. To wash a cocktail shaker by hand, you will need the following:
- Hot water
- Dish soap
- A brush or cloth (optional)
- A clean towel
To wash your shaker then:
- Rinse the shaker with hot water to remove any leftover liquid or debris.
- Fill the shaker with warm water and a small amount of dish soap.
- Gently shake the shaker to allow the soap and water to reach all surfaces.
- Rinse the shaker thoroughly with hot water to remove any remaining soap.
- If there are any hard-to-reach areas, you can use a brush or cloth to clean them.
- Empty the shaker and place it upside down on a clean towel to dry.
- Make sure the shaker is completely dry before you store it.
Regardless of the method used, bartenders must always dry the shaker well before using it again to prevent rust or corrosion. Additionally, they should check the manufacturer’s instructions or any care labels on the shaker to ensure that it can safely be cleaned how the bartender is planning to clean it.
How Do Bartenders Clean Shakers Between Drinks?
Bartenders generally have a few different methods for cleaning shakers between drinks, depending on the type of shaker and the amount of debris present. Here are a few common methods:
- Quick rinse: This method involves rinsing the shaker under hot water to remove any leftover liquid or debris. This is the most common method when a shaker only needs a quick clean before the next drink.
- Soak and rinse: This method is used when a shaker needs a more thorough cleaning. Bartenders will fill the shaker with hot water and a small amount of dish soap, then shake the shaker to allow the soap and water to reach all surfaces. After a few minutes, they will rinse the shaker thoroughly with hot water to remove any remaining soap.
- Scrub and rinse: This method is used when a shaker has a lot of debris or is particularly dirty. Bartenders will fill the shaker with hot water and a small amount of dish soap, then use a brush or cloth to scrub the shaker clean. They will then rinse the shaker thoroughly with hot water to remove any remaining soap.
- Sanitizing: Bartenders may use Sanitizing solution (like a food-grade sanitiser) to sanitize the shaker before use. This is important when serving multiple customers quickly, especially when the shaker is used for a drink with raw egg or other ingredients that can cause cross-contamination.
It’s important to note that regardless of the method used, bartenders should always dry the shaker well before using it again to prevent rust or corrosion.
In conclusion, putting a cocktail shaker in the dishwasher is possible. However, it is important to consider the material of the shaker and whether it is dishwasher safe. Stainless steel shakers are typically safe to put in the dishwasher, while those made of copper or other materials may not be. It is also important to ensure that the shaker is properly disassembled before placing it in the dishwasher to prevent damage. Ultimately, cleaning your cocktail shaker with warm soapy water is the best way to ensure it stays in good condition.